I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Student-Friendly Angel Food Cake Recipe

I made this angel food cake recipe in college during a food preparation lab. As a poor college student I always re-sold my books at the end of the term, but I held on to that lab manual. Every recipe in the book is as small as it can be while still offering the same learning experience as a full sized recipe.

The experience of making an angel food cake was very fun for my students, but supplies for eight kitchens to prepare the recipe would have gotten expensive.  This little loaf pan makes a cake just big enough for three students to enjoy a large slice and have one slice to share.

Angel Food Cake Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1/3 C sifted cake flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/2 C egg whites (about 3 eggs)
  • 1/2 t cream of tartar
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Sift together flour, salt, and 1/4 C sugar.  Set aside.
  3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peak stage. Add vanilla.
  4. Continue to beat egg whites to the upper limits of the soft peak stage while adding the sugar 1 tsp at a time.
  5. Very gently sift 1/3 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold until flour is gone. Continue until all flour is mixed in.
  6. Dollop batter into ungreased 7" x 4" loaf pan. Gently wiggle the pan to distribute the batter but do not drop or agitate the mixture.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment