I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Preparing Dry Beans Demonstration

black beansIn preparation for tomorrow's Beans, Nuts, and Seeds lab, I demonstrated how to prepare dried beans today. 

I began by showing a news segment about how to use canned beans. The segment also highlights cost savings of dried beans and the health benefits of beans and legumes.

Students calculate the cost savings of dried beans with a journal entry:

Which is a less expensive option: Cooked beans or dried beans?


  • Prepared canned pinto beans cost $1.99 per can
    • Each can yields about 2 cups of beans
  • Dried beans cost $1.19 per pound
    • Each pound of dried beans makes about 8 cups of beans
  • Ground beef costs $2.98 per pound
    • One ounce of meat= ½ cup of beans
  • What is the cost savings of dried beans vs. ground beef?

I show Pantry Raid III: Cool Beans and demonstrate how to prepare beans along with Alton Brown.  Despite Alton's advice I use the quick soak method.  I also cook the beans in a slow cooker so I don't have to keep an eye on them during my other classes.

We will have a big pot of black beans for whatever tomorrow's beans, nuts, and legumes lab brings us.

No comments:

Post a Comment