I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Whole Grains Preparation Lab

Sunset Oats After students have learned how to make good choices when choosing grain based breads and snacks, I have a lab for preparing whole grains from scratch. Most of the students were familiar with rice but all of the other grains were new to them.

Each kitchen makes a different whole grain.
  • Steel cut oats
  • Quinoa
  • Bulgur
  • Cornmeal
  • Rice
Then each student had a wide variety of grains to taste.  I offer various toppings to make the grains a bit more enticing for the newbies.
  • Maple syrup
  • Brown sugar
  • Raisins
  • Soy sauce
  • Honey
The favorite usually ends up being cornmeal mush. My students like it with maple syrup. I find that funny because older generations wrinkle their nose at cornmeal mush. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment