I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Ms. Pins' Monster Cookies (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

In the past year I have adopted an animal-product-free lifestyle, and after last week's yeast bread unit I am reminded of how much better I feel without wheat as well. This is quite a let down for the upcoming holiday season. My mom is a fantastic baker and I can't imagine a celebration being the same without her goodies!

Last weekend I set out to create a gluten free, egg free, and dairy free version of our family's favorite monster cookies.  After a lifetime growing up with my mom's cooking "veganized" versions of foods are usually a let-down.  I can proudly report that these cookies were AWESOME and even passed the husband taste-test.

The recipe uses chia seeds as the emulsifier and oil as the fat instead of eggs and butter. I chose tapioca flour to replace the wheat flour because it is slightly sweet and is a good thickener. The resulting cookies have a crisp bite but are still chewy, just like an oatmeal cookie should be!

Ms. Pins' Monster Cookies
A gluten free, egg free, dairy free version of the cherished Mrs. Kramer Monster Cookie recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 C almond milk (original, unsweetened)
  • 2 T chia seeds
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C granulated sugar
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1 C peanut butter
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T tapioca flour
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 2 1/4 C quick oats (People very sensitive to gluten should use certified gluten-free oats due to cross contamination risks)
  • 1/3 C each raisins, walnuts, and coconut or 1 C total of your choice of add-ins
  • 1/2 C powdered sugar

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix together almond milk and chia seeds.  Allow to sit until thickened slightly; about 5 minutes.
  3. Cream together chia seed mixture, vegetable oil, sugars, peanut butter, and apple cider vinegar.
  4. Sift in flour and baking soda. Mix well.
  5. Stir in quick oats.
  6. Fold in raisins, walnuts, and coconut or your choice of add-ins.
  7. Drop dough by tablespoons full into powdered sugar. Roll in powdered sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake in middle of oven for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool on sheet for about five minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment