I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Monday, May 19, 2014

Health Fair Appetizers Garde Manger Unit

I have an amazing coworker who organizes, every other year, a health fair that features local health-related vendors. My school extends first block so that every class can spend at least a half hour at the exhibits, learning more about resources in our area.

She asked my Culinary Essentials students to offer food to the vendors. My first thought was healthy muffins, but because my students have already been through Bakery I squeezed in a Garde Manger mini-unit.
This plate features Italian salad-stuffed shells and cream cheese-dill stuffed cherry tomatoes.
The cucumber cups were very fun. We used a melon baller to cut a bowl for our red pepper lentil "hummus."
Our green onion curly garnishes were very easy to make. Just cut little ribbons and toss in ice water for ~10 minutes.
The "prosciutto" with melon was very popular. We just alternated cantelope and honeydew melon with ham. It's an old trick I learned with pepperoni and olives from bartending. :)
I missed a picture of my most popular appetizer, the deviled eggs. Everyone asked for the recipe but honestly we were so far behind (senior skip day... grrr!) that I just tossed in ingredients as a student mixed. Not my best moment. It included mayonnaise, mustard, sriracha, salt, and pepper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment