I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Miniature Layered Cakes

It's that time of the term for the most popular unit: Cake decorating!

Students baked their cakes last Thursday.  Most opted for a patterned batter.  This student is making camouflage.
 This student opted for tie-die stripes.
The students found many tutorials on Pinterest and were very pleased with the results.

For the cake decorating unit I use my Kramer Crazy Cake recipe. It is a dependable recipe made with shelf-stable ingredients. It is very inexpensive so I can afford for each student to make their own cake.

Students work in pairs to make a whole recipe in a half baking sheet or a half recipe in a 9 x 13 pan. This will yield a cake that is about 1" thick.

After the cakes have cooled, students cut the layers using circular cookie cutters. They apply a dirty icing coat and freeze the cakes overnight to provide a nice, smooth surface for decorating the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment