I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Yeast Balloon Blow Up to Demonstrate Bacteria Multiplying at Room Temperature

As part of our discussion on food borne illness, I did an experiment to demonstrate how bacteria multiplies at room temperature.  I got the idea from FightBac.org resources which I told you about yesterday.  I also show it with my Safety and Sanitation Power Point and Numbers to Know Prezi.

Some modifications for this time around...
  • I didn't mess with the bowls of water.  I simply left one bottle at room temperature and put one in the fridge.
  • I had no sugar so I used corn syrup.  It's a good reminder for students to see what they are drinking in soda!
  • I mixed the ingredients right in the bottle instead of messing with a separate beaker.
We observed the bottles at 10 minutes:

20 minutes:
Thirty minutes:
And 45 minutes.
Because bacteria are invisible it is great to have such a visual reminder of the importance of cooling food quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment