I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Monday, September 16, 2013

Calories and Sugar in One Quart of Chocolate Milk

Someone told the football players that chocolate milk was better for them than white milk.  They said it was the perfect snack for them after practice.

So, two of my sophomores showed up drinking quarts of chocolate milk this morning.  I only allow Healthy Kids Act food in my classroom so I took the opportunity to prove why.

First, we figured out how many servings of milk were in 1 quart (4). We multiplied total calories and found that they had already consumed 720 calories that morning.  Then we multiplied total sugars and found that there were 24 teaspoons of sugar in the quart.

I had the "offenders" measure out 24 teaspoons of sugar to make a visual of the sugars in the chocolate milk.  We decided that maybe chocolate milk was a fine snack, but that proper portion sizes must be considered.

I went on to demonstrate the waffle iron with chocolate cookies.  The football players were quick to point out that the cookies had the same amount of sugar as the milk.  I agreed, but the cookies were to feed a whole class, not one student for breakfast!

Check out my Pinterest board for portion sizing

No comments:

Post a Comment