I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Knife Skills Soup FACS Lab

Small Berti Chef's KnifeIt's already that time of the term for our Knife Skills Soup lab! I'm always a bit nervous going into it but my students impress me every time. As you check out this activity, remember that I teach in 85 minute blocks.  This could be stretched into a week long activity for shorter class blocks.

Objectives:

  • Students will demonstrate safe knife skills.
  • Student will demonstrate mincing, dicing, cubing, slicing, chopping, and grating.

Preparation


Day 1


Day 2

  • Students prepare their knife skills soup.
    • The recipe is written so that each kitchen works individually to cut the vegetables but combine their vegetables to make a pot of soup for every two kitchens.
    • Kitchens who are using their time wisely may make the challenge recipe of dumplings for their soup.
  • While the soup is simmering students will create a utensil quiz.
  •  Demonstrate how to cool soup quickly (immerse stock pot in ice water) and save the soup for the next day.

Day 3

  • Reheat soup, eat, and clean up
  • Check utensils quiz

No comments:

Post a Comment