I moved!

I moved! You can find me at my new online home, KaylaPins.com!

Monday, April 28, 2014

How much money can we save by cooking our own beans instead of using canned?

The Culinary Essentials students are hard at work preparing chili for their cook off tomorrow afternoon. Teachers have conferences right away after school and won't have time to eat. That makes it the perfect time to have them vote on our chili.

The teachers are paying $5 for 16 ounces of chili, four side dishes, and a bottle of water. To maximize our profits we will be using dried beans instead of canned. 

My math question posed to my students is: How much money are we saving the department by cooking our own beans?
A 15 oz can of beans costs $.89.

One pound of dry beans equals about two cups. They triple in size when cooked.
I am giving Instagram a try! You can follow me @kaylapins and #chilicookoff2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment